Sunday, June 29, 2014

I is for Independence; The ultimate reminder of an internship's purpose

Taking time to reflect on the upcoming week celebrating our nation's birthday, I am also reminded of what this internship has taught me so far.  While studying vocabulary words for the GRE, I was in dictionary mode, and decided to look up the real definition of "independence." As expected, Google reported that independence is the fact or state of being independent (no shocker there). It's been said that there is no better place to celebrate the Fourth of July than the nation's capitol, but my excitement for this week is rivaled by my personal celebration of living, learning, and growing as an individual.

In D.C., Independence isn't just red, white, and blue fireworks on a special day.  It's also the history and memories of what has made this country great; it is the reminder of the great people this country has created.  Independence Day, a holiday that has been my favorite since I was a kid, is the one day of the year that everyone celebrates the United States for the unique country that it is.  It is my opinion, that this very independence is something that we all take for granted every day of the year. My internship, however, has allowed me to experience a new sort of independence; one that isn't just about picnics and parties, but exposes the real fireworks of what it means to be "on your own."
Believe it or not, this
was my first solo trip to
Barnes and Noble...

Ask anyone, and they will confidently tell you that I am a very social person.  But taking the butterfly out of her natural element is enough to shake things up a bit and to make being alone uncomfortable.  I used to laugh at people who said the Midwest was "too friendly," but through my experiences here, I now know that the social atmosphere of DePauw and the state I grew up in is an asset, not a flaw.

Putting yourself out there to meet new people, new faces, and new opportunities is an action that I have only had to do one other time in my life: when going off to college.  Now, I see how difficult it is to truly trust people when you're "away from home." But the simple times when I have made an effort to reach out to someone waiting for the metro, or have complimented a woman on her dress while waiting in line at Starbucks, have been the most rewarding of my time here.

There is not a classroom, a symposium, or a teacher that can teach you how to be on your own.  If anything, getting too familiar with one place or a group of people can hinder vital social skills for being successful in the real world.  I've always been the one to harp on how wonderful LinkedIn is (raise your hand if I've basically forced you to create an account at some point...) but there is something to be said for being on your own, being socially vulnerable, and meeting new people.

While this week will certainly bring many more reflections on how lucky I am to have been given this opportunity, and how lucky I am to have freedom in the United States of America, it will also bring about an appreciation for my newfound skill of meeting people, and interacting in an unfamiliar world.

A wise friend once gave me the advice to "Do one thing every day that scares you," (a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt, if you're unfamiliar).  I can certainly say that I have done just that so far in my time here.  With new experiences come new fears, but it is only through conquering those fears that I have been able to truly embrace my independence.

The special reminder of wise advice from an even wiser friend. :)

1 comment:

  1. Great anaology in this post Rachel! I have loved reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete