Monday, June 23, 2014

G is for Game time; Finding time to relax

The fast-paced nature of summer interning makes it quite easy to get caught up in your work, workplace, and the "tasks" you are trying to finish before the end of your internship.  Not too different
Got our tickets!
from deadlines and an overload of work during the school year at DePauw, there is always something to be done while interning at the DOEd.  I have found, however, that just like in school, I work much better and more effectively if I give myself "time-off" or "me time" on nights and weekends.  This becomes more important as my time here progresses.  Not wanting to get "burned out" or stuck in a rut going through the motions, I have found a few ways to unwind and to relax.
Walking up to Nationals Park!

This past weekend, my favorite relaxation method was attending a Washington National's baseball game with some friends.  Great conversations, and watching one of my favorite sports was the perfect ending to a long week of working at a computer and going to meetings.  It was great to sit around, eat "W" shaped pretzels (I know, I should have taken a picture, but it tasted too good to think about that at the time), and watch the Nationals play the Braves.  It was my first major league baseball game! Hard to believe, I know!

Our Amazing View!
Fellow DePauw and
Alpha Chi Sister, Rachel!
It was so nice to spend time
together at the game.
Walking up to the stadium, it was funny to see the number of people who had strategically transitioned their office/work clothes to fit the game time atmosphere (I had done the same, but hopefully a little more discretely?).  There were so many people at the game; I'm sure they had the same idea to end a great week as we did.

Big events like baseball games can also be a little stressful (especially when you're in a new place, city, etc.)  I have found it even more important to find ways to find out what the best "me time" is for me personally.  Surprise, surprise, my ideal "me time" includes Netflix and having great conversations with my roommates.  But I have also taken to learning to cook new things as a way of relaxing (and I've realized I'm a pretty great cook! Yay!)  I wouldn't say I'm homesick or anything just yet, but I have found it refreshing to choose at least one friend or family member to call on the phone or Facetime/Skype, etc. each day. Writing (and receiving) letters from friends and family has also been a great wind-down activity for me during this internship.  It is weird being away from DePauw and my family (PSA: Underclassmen, you will miss DePauw, no matter how short or long a time you are away from it), but finding little ways to stay in touch has done wonders for my personal happiness!

D.C. is a fantastic city with so much to do - but with all the busy-ness (and business) happening around me, I have found that relaxing, catching up with friends, and taking a little "me time" has been one of the best parts of my summer experience so far!
Relaxation at its finest!

No comments:

Post a Comment