Wednesday, June 18, 2014

F is for Fulbright; Using experience to build for the future!

Summertime is normally spent relaxing, watching TV and working for extra cash, but not many students realize how important these low-stress days are for thinking and preparing for the future.  While in D.C., I have met many people who have encouraged me to think about "what's next" and have given me wonderful advice on how to figure that out.  It sure is a good thing I have a whole summer here to think, plan, and prepare for after my senior year!
Just doing some Fulbright research
and application work!


Casually riding an elephant in
Thailand. It's no wonder I fell
in love with the country!
My "what's next" up to this point, however, has always been Fulbright (with a back-up plan of grad school, of course). Since I was a First-Year student at DePauw, I have been attending Fulbright and other fellowship meetings offered by the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement.   An hour out of my day, these meetings helped me to not only think about possible options for my future, but to hear first-hand from other students how their application processes and decisions occurred was one of the most helpful footholds for my own Fulbright process.  Now that I am a rising senior, Hubbard Center staff have been incredibly helpful with showing me the steps of beginning the Fulbright application and statement drafts.  They also offer a class in the Fall to help students to write, critique and submit their fellowship applications.  It's no wonder DePauw had 5 Student Fulbright winners last year!
Visiting a university in Thailand!

After going on the Education in Thailand Winter Term in 2013, I officially decided to pursue a career in education policy.  I fell in love with Thailand and their education system.  Touring colleges and meeting Thai students studying English influenced me to focus on Thailand as my country of choice for an Fulbright ETA Grant.  Being center-stage of education issues in the U.S. through this internship, I have been able to compare and contrast the U.S. and Thai education systems in very interesting ways.  I have also been fortunate enough to speak with education professionals about advise for Fulbright.  

This just goes to show that you should NEVER take any aspect of an opportunity for granted.  The right person or piece of advice could be the key needed for you to achieve your dream.
My favorite picture from Thailand! Isn't it beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment