Sunday, June 1, 2014

B is for Brainstorming; Making a first impression, rain or shine



My first day outfit,
all ready to go!
Everyone likes to start off on the right foot and make the right impression, especially when moving to a new place with new people.  As nervous as I was to begin my big summer experience, I was excited to start the internship I had been anticipating since March.

LBJ Education Building =
the main DOEd building
The First Day - The night before my first day at the Department of Education, I set out my clothes for the morning and was sure to get a good night's sleep.  I had already read through the internship manuals provided to me, and I was confident on where I would need to arrive in the morning, as well as when I would need to leave.  Everything worked out perfectly.  

Walking up to the LBJ Department of Education building on a sunny Tuesday morning, I was all smiles.  I immediately met my supervisor, Elise, who was extremely helpful and aware of what I was going through.  It was refreshing to have someone to help me to get my ID badge (I feel so official!) and appropriate "first day" items. She
introduced me to everyone in the office and allowed me to get acquainted to the office at my own pace.  I could already tell that I was in for a great summer with great role models, and an intellectually challenging atmosphere.

Being new did not stop me from immediately jumping into my work and to learning everything I possibly could. I brainstormed future projects and tried to grasp exactly what I would be doing at NCES.  I asked for extra reading material from Elise, got acquainted with online Education Blogs, news sites, and research spaces, and asked every question
that came to my mind.  Everyone at NCES was very receptive to my questions and took my ideas seriously. Learning about all of the studies that had been done and were currently being done was inspiring.  Most of my first week was spent studying, reading, and learning about the education topics I would be focusing on; this internship was exactly what I was hoping for!
Letters of love and support :)
Just a "bit of light reading"...

My DOEd ID Badge!
I'm so official!!
I soon learned that I would be working with survey information to construct data sheets that would present quick facts that NCES provides to policy makers and the public.  Although I had not taken any type of Statistics course, I was able to find information online and in books at the office to help me bridge the gap of what I did not know.  It probably helped that it stormed multiple days during the week, because I was more inclined to read extra material in order to prepare.  If I've learned anything so far it is to never waste a chance to prepare yourself.  Fear or uncertainty can only control you if you let it, and I was not about to let "not knowing" control my ability to impress and perform as an intern.

From my time in college, attending camps and going on mission trips, I am not a stranger to being on my own and away from my family and friends.  I admit, that it sometimes takes me a bit to feel comfortable in a new area, I have not experienced homesickness in quite some time.  But it was so incredibly nice to come home after long day to find a handwritten card from a sorority sister who had taken the time to think of me and my new experience.  Receiving mail later in the week from my grandmother sealed the deal, allowing me to feel comfortable here. Sometimes it's the little things that make you feel at home, even when you're not truly at home.  

By the way, my summer address is 7406 Dickinson Avenue, College Park, MD 20740 if anyone needs it! 

Beautiful Botanic Gardens!
Hard work is not something that should be taken for granted, but after a long week of learning the ropes and getting into a routine at NCES, I was eager to meet up with a friend and sorority sister from DePauw who is also in D.C. for the summer. Plus, it had finally stopped storming, and the weather was beyond beautiful.  I had not had the chance to meet many individuals my age in the city, so it was nice to be able to hang out and talk about the experiences I was having with a close friend.  We went to the United States Botanic Gardens and had a relaxing lunch at the National Mall.  There were so many food trucks with unhealthy food! A college student's dream for sure.  There also a ton of people playing games, eating, and sitting in the grass.  D.C. is definitely a great location to have a great time with family and friends.  The sunny afternoon could not have been spent in a better way.  With the Capitol in the background, we explored the area, picking out the museums and attractions that we hoped to visit in the coming weekends.  There certainly isn't a shortage of (free) things to do in D.C.!

After a very long week of navigating a new city, learning a new position, and living in a different part of the country, I am proud to say that I am still alive (if any of you were taking bets...).  It would not be an understatement, however, to report that I am more alive than ever.  Washington, D.C. is an amazing place, and my time here has just begun.  

The Capitol Reflecting Pool on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment